Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Letters from Kazakhstan

Letters from Kazakhstan
Being in country has overwhelmed me...I have seen the splendor of God’s creation from mountain peaks to the flat lands and have been reminded just how great our God is.  Being isolated from the distractions that normally surround life (internet, phone, TV) have afforded me time to think and reflect.  Not to mention this latest journey.
The last several days I have been thinking about love.  What is it, really what is it we all say things like I love you, I love cheeseburgers, I love my dog.  So what is love, think about it, it is a common word we use but do we really understand what it means?
I think I am finally beginning to understand love or at least that I have been mistaken about love for much of my life.  As I have moved along this journey I have ended up with more questions than answers, especially when it comes to the love of God.
Jesus died on the cross for my sins because He loved me.  I find this amazing because in essence He did not really know me because my sin separated me from Him.  This is a giant paradox because Jesus knows us because He created us but yet sin keeps a distance between us and He still died for me/us.  I don’t know about you but I definitely would find it hard to die for someone else especially when I really don’t know them.
The Bible says greater love has no man than he who would lay His life down.  Do you have this kind of love?  I’m not sure I am there yet.  I would lay my life down for Lauren or Matt or even my closest friend but I am not so sure about that person next door.
Love grows as we grow in our faith and my prayer is that God allows me to grow in His love so I can be better at sharing with others.
Verses for thought:
Matthew 22:37; John 17:23; Luke 15; John  3:14-15; John 15:1314; John 21:15-17
What are your thoughts?  Leave me a comment.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for still giving us truth, even though you're halfway around the world. You are in my prayers more than ever. I'm so glad to hear that things are going well with the little man.
    Thank you for sharing those verses, too. They will be a guide for my devotion tonight.
    Dragost incredibila--as in, completely beyond our comprehension.
    Love always (<---or at least my miniscule understanding of it),
    Meg

    ReplyDelete